{MOH} Regulators
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Xbox 360 Blue Ray Drive add on Announced.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
crapgamer

crapgamer

Number of posts : 10061
Gamertag : thecrapgamer
PSN : crapgamer
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Xbox 360 Blue Ray Drive add on Announced. Empty
PostSubject: Xbox 360 Blue Ray Drive add on Announced.   Xbox 360 Blue Ray Drive add on Announced. Icon_minitimeThu Oct 22, 2009 10:36 am

Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer appears to say hi-def video format will be added to the console's "entertainment experience" via "accessories."

When the HD DVD/Blu-ray war came to a sudden end in February 2008, it was quickly followed by word Microsoft and Sony were discussing a Blu-ray drive for the Xbox 360. Now, 20 months later, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer appears to have confirmed that the Xbox 360 will be getting a Blu-ray player of some sort.

Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer.

In a video interview with tech site Gizmodo, the outspoken executive was asked how the Xbox 360 could be the center of a modern entertainment system and not include Blu-ray. His response appeared to rule out an internal Blu-ray drive for the 360, but apparently confirmed it would be available as a peripheral much like the discontinued Xbox 360 HD DVD drive.

Speaking about the Xbox 360, Ballmer said, "Well, I don't know if we need to put Blu-ray in there. [But] you'll be able to get Blu-ray drives as accessories." He offered no further details, such as a timeframe or price, and Microsoft reps declined to offer further comment on "future plans" regarding Blu-ray.

The Xbox 360 Blu-ray drive might look similar to the discontinued HD DVD drive for the console.

Bill Gates' successor quickly pivoted to promote the Xbox 360's ability to download high-definition video. "I think the future of movies is on demand, as opposed to…via distribution of physical media. So we're going to just strive forward and try and make [the Xbox 360] the best entertainment--overall entertainment, and not just gaming, but overall entertainment experience we can."

The next step in Microsoft's hi-def video strategy is the addition of 1080p video downloads and Zune-compatible movies as part of next month's Xbox Live update.
Back to top Go down
http://teammoh.com
STARWARSKID93

STARWARSKID93

Number of posts : 3676
Registration date : 2009-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Xbox 360 Blue Ray Drive add on Announced.   Xbox 360 Blue Ray Drive add on Announced. Icon_minitimeThu Oct 22, 2009 12:07 pm

k. cool.
Back to top Go down
http://teammoh.tk
crapgamer

crapgamer

PostSubject: Re: Xbox 360 Blue Ray Drive add on Announced.   Xbox 360 Blue Ray Drive add on Announced. Icon_minitimeThu Oct 22, 2009 12:12 pm

Pretty much this is what I've expected for a while.
This current Generation of consoles is going to be here to stay for a while yet. 3 -4 years away from new ones.
I think this is a great move. Maybe I see some 360 bundle's with the Blu Ray drive? This is perfect for the people that say "I really like the Xbox 360 game catalog but PS3 has Blu Ray" Now you can get Blu Ray on the 360 as well.
Back to top Go down
fusion

Number of posts : 2621
Gamertag : Chocolate Meoww

PostSubject: Re: Xbox 360 Blue Ray Drive add on Announced.   Xbox 360 Blue Ray Drive add on Announced. Icon_minitimeThu Oct 22, 2009 12:22 pm

cool. but i dont see how they are going to be able to add a blu ray drive to an existing xbox? i still have a few blu rays and i dont wanna go out and buy a 300 dolla drive.
Back to top Go down
crapgamer

crapgamer

PostSubject: Re: Xbox 360 Blue Ray Drive add on Announced.   Xbox 360 Blue Ray Drive add on Announced. Icon_minitimeThu Oct 22, 2009 12:44 pm

It'll be a add on. Like the HD DVD player was.
It'll probably be like $100 since Blue Ray prices have dropped a lot.
They cant make a Xbox 360 with blue Ray, because all the previously released games and consoles wont support them. So an add on makes the most sense.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Xbox 360 Blue Ray Drive add on Announced.   Xbox 360 Blue Ray Drive add on Announced. Icon_minitimeThu Oct 22, 2009 5:39 pm

lol, a smart thing to do since HD-DVD lost... But it's still more dollars added onto the systems price... I mean even some survey said most people don't buy a PS3 for Blu-Ray so I think people will just stick to buying separate Blu-ray players if they really want to play movies and nothing more
Back to top Go down
crapgamer

crapgamer

PostSubject: Re: Xbox 360 Blue Ray Drive add on Announced.   Xbox 360 Blue Ray Drive add on Announced. Icon_minitimeThu Oct 22, 2009 5:45 pm

There will most likely be bundles thrown in. I can see next year there being a 250 gig HDD Blue Ray 360 going for $299 or $350. I know a ton of people who got PS3's just for Blu Ray. I think the statistic for PS3 owners using their PS3's for just media is like 28% I know I use mine just for that.

Anyway this will certainly get more people on the 360, no reason not to get one now.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Xbox 360 Blue Ray Drive add on Announced.   Xbox 360 Blue Ray Drive add on Announced. Icon_minitimeThu Oct 22, 2009 7:22 pm

Well when I see some prices of this add-on drive then I'll make assumptions... I still think it's kind of stupid that they never backed it up before... And I'm not trusting your guess on prices since you said the PS3 slim was gonna be $350 and it ended up at $300 like everyone had been saying, lol... Though if it was a $50-$100 add-on then it would be good for Blu-Ray regardless... I think DVD just needs to go away like VHS did or at least a year from now... Especially if that 320GB disk is true
Back to top Go down
crapgamer

crapgamer

PostSubject: Re: Xbox 360 Blue Ray Drive add on Announced.   Xbox 360 Blue Ray Drive add on Announced. Icon_minitimeThu Oct 22, 2009 7:56 pm

There are $350 PS3 slims.
No matter if you like the 360 or not, this will push consoles and games for Microsoft.
I think the fact that the HD DVD drive was $100 and Blu Ray stand alone are about $100 now that my guess will be close to the real point.

Also like I said I see bundles, maybe the elite, 250 gig HDD, games or movies for $299-$399
Mostly I like the fact that they are expanding this generation. Natal and a Blue Ray add on mean they are pretty much standing with what we have for the foreseeable future.

I don't see DVD's going anywhere anytime soon though.
Considering they outsell Blu Ray movies by like 5-1 margin. Also the Blu Ray stuff is so expensive, like for seasons of shows, like $100, when I can get them on Dvd for like $40, sometimes less. PS3 and XBox 360 both upconvert anyway.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Xbox 360 Blue Ray Drive add on Announced.   Xbox 360 Blue Ray Drive add on Announced. Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 3:45 am

crapgamer wrote:
There are $350 PS3 slims.
No matter if you like the 360 or not, this will push consoles and games for Microsoft.
I think the fact that the HD DVD drive was $100 and Blu Ray stand alone are about $100 now that my guess will be close to the real point.

Also like I said I see bundles, maybe the elite, 250 gig HDD, games or movies for $299-$399
Mostly I like the fact that they are expanding this generation. Natal and a Blue Ray add on mean they are pretty much standing with what we have for the foreseeable future.

I don't see DVD's going anywhere anytime soon though.
Considering they outsell Blu Ray movies by like 5-1 margin. Also the Blu Ray stuff is so expensive, like for seasons of shows, like $100, when I can get them on Dvd for like $40, sometimes less. PS3 and XBox 360 both upconvert anyway.
Well NOW there are $350 PS3's which are the 250's... There wasn't when you made that first guess and that was for the 120's...

And the drive SHOULD be $100 or less because I'd assume that they'd want to have their add-on less then a Blu-Ray player... But the PS3 is still up in the best Blu-Ray players regardless so theirs should be up there with the internet connection to update it... And I may be no 360 fan but I still don't feel excited by Natal until I see a price or see some ACTUAL games using it... I wouldn't get it for the minigames that they showed... If they showed something like Gears with Natal then that would be kickass...

And I think they can drop the price of the Blu-Ray disks but who knows when they will... They should do it if they want to move more of the market to Blu-Ray
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Xbox 360 Blue Ray Drive add on Announced.   Xbox 360 Blue Ray Drive add on Announced. Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 3:57 am

I guess they changed their mind on this Blu-Ray player...

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-10381058-17.html
Back to top Go down
crapgamer

crapgamer

PostSubject: Re: Xbox 360 Blue Ray Drive add on Announced.   Xbox 360 Blue Ray Drive add on Announced. Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 8:15 am

Nah, what I heard was they bought a ton of Blu Ray Drives that were not for PC's, probably posturing at the moment.
Back to top Go down
Hateinaboxx
Captain Grade I
Captain Grade I
Hateinaboxx

Number of posts : 638
Gamertag : Hateinaboxx

PostSubject: Re: Xbox 360 Blue Ray Drive add on Announced.   Xbox 360 Blue Ray Drive add on Announced. Icon_minitimeSat Oct 24, 2009 1:21 am

sweet
Back to top Go down
HellHammer

HellHammer

Number of posts : 816
Gamertag : XX_HellHammer
PSN : XX_HellHamer

PostSubject: Re: Xbox 360 Blue Ray Drive add on Announced.   Xbox 360 Blue Ray Drive add on Announced. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 1:23 pm

I could see them putting the drives INTO the consoles, it'd make more sense, of course they couldn't run games off of blu-ray, because then the older 360's wouldn't support them, but they could definitely make it so blu-ray discs are readable without an add-on, no one wants a drive sitting next to their 360, the whole external thing is what killed HD-DVD.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Xbox 360 Blue Ray Drive add on Announced.   Xbox 360 Blue Ray Drive add on Announced. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 4:53 pm

HellHammer wrote:
I could see them putting the drives INTO the consoles, it'd make more sense, of course they couldn't run games off of blu-ray, because then the older 360's wouldn't support them, but they could definitely make it so blu-ray discs are readable without an add-on, no one wants a drive sitting next to their 360, the whole external thing is what killed HD-DVD.
I agree with that... I mean I never even see external CD/DVD drives for computers (well I've seen it once and they just look stupid) so why would I want that thing hanging off to the side? lol... But I'm not saying that it couldn't look good... Plus I think the goal of the 360 is all internet based and they only want to do content online

But I still keep seeing articles that it isn't gonna happen anymore... And I love how it sounds like Blu-Ray is like the best thing ever since there might be an external add-on for the 360, lol
Back to top Go down
crapgamer

crapgamer

PostSubject: Re: Xbox 360 Blue Ray Drive add on Announced.   Xbox 360 Blue Ray Drive add on Announced. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 5:13 pm

No, just saying now the people not included in the 34+ million that own a 360 already and that were not getting one due to lack of that ability can now get one.

Blu Ray don't matter to me one bit, hell the Wii has 53 million sold and that is with no media funtions.

I watched the first interview and Bulmer wasn't taliing about PC Blue Ray...lol There are already Blu Ray drives for Computers, so that don't fly.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Xbox 360 Blue Ray Drive add on Announced.   Xbox 360 Blue Ray Drive add on Announced. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 6:16 pm

I know they're already in laptops, lol... I'm saying that if it looks like that HD HVD drive then it won't be too appealing to the market... I thought that HD DVD drive looked like a 5 minute design by some 2 year old, lol... And they should start getting into self loading drives as well instead of the $20 ancient ones where you push a button to insert a disk, lol... I'm just saying if they made it look good then it would do well or better in the market... Or they should just stick to their digital idea which will probably be the future someday if broadband is much much better and standard
Back to top Go down
crapgamer

crapgamer

PostSubject: Re: Xbox 360 Blue Ray Drive add on Announced.   Xbox 360 Blue Ray Drive add on Announced. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 7:59 pm

I think companies like Gamestop and the mass people wont want download only. The good point to download only is lower prices, but you lack the actually physical copy of the item.

Most people want the game they can hold.
I'm included in that list.
I liked the HD DVD drive, the reason it failed wasn't from lack of support, it was lack of storage.
HD Dvd looks the exact same as Blu Ray.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Xbox 360 Blue Ray Drive add on Announced.   Xbox 360 Blue Ray Drive add on Announced. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2009 2:25 pm

Well idk how the HD DVD was but the Blu-Ray disk is pretty scratch resistant compared to current disks... I think that's how disks could stay around a long long time... By being very durable
Back to top Go down
crapgamer

crapgamer

PostSubject: Re: Xbox 360 Blue Ray Drive add on Announced.   Xbox 360 Blue Ray Drive add on Announced. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 28, 2009 9:00 am

I still have dvd's from 9 + years ago. I still have original PS1 games, all not scratched. It's all in how you take care of things, where as I bought a used copy of URT3 on PS3 and it was hella scratched.

The HD between the two was the exact same. I think the add on probably wasn't the best idea, but if you look at having the cheaper console it clearly has sold well.
The consoles this generation have sold in accordance to price, so I doubt anyone will fault Microsoft for trying to keep the cost of a "Game console" down by not adding a bunch of useless thing's to it and forcing the price up.

PS3 probably would have been HUGE had they stuck to just games and worried about online, instead they tried to get fancy and it ended up costing them.

I probably wouldn't have gotten a 360 when I did if it cost $400-$500 with a built in HD dvd player.

As far as a game system and online though, it's 360, the blue ray thing as I stated would be cool to get those players that hesitated due to lack of blu ray.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Xbox 360 Blue Ray Drive add on Announced.   Xbox 360 Blue Ray Drive add on Announced. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Xbox 360 Blue Ray Drive add on Announced.
Page 1 of 1